There are very few home remodeling projects that are more exhilarating or intimidating thana complete kitchen remodeling makeover. While most homeowners overhaul their kitchen’s outdated amenities and replace them with modern elements. Most are looking to improve the overall space, increase storage, and improve the resale value of the property. Whatever your reasons are for pulling the trigger on your kitchen remodel. There is one decision that can set the tone for your project, the CABINETS!
Dark cabinets tend to bring a warm, rich and modern high-end look. Whether you are drawn to more of a dark espresso or even charcoal black, you really want to consider the impact the color you choose will have on the room. In tight close spaces choosing dark color cabinets can make the space seem more closed in or confined. Highlighting the cabinets beautifies the room while contrasting specific elements. This will add some flair and drama while lightening the atmosphere in any room! When upgrading your cabinets with an array of dark color combinations make sure to explore contrasting color palettes which highlight the following design aspects:
- Countertops: The classic idea of contrast black or white
- Backsplashes: Are an important function to protect walls from spills and splatters. But it also serves as a focal point for your kitchen. A light colored backsplash with dark cabinets really can break up the mundane and make it room stand out.
- Flooring: Choosing the right flooring is essential for durability, aesthetics, and function. The floor is usually the first thing a guest will notice, pairing natural stone, granite, cork or even bamboo will spruce up that open floor concept.
LIGHT COLORED CABINETS
Traditional light colored cabinets are particularly popular in small, gallery-style kitchens due to their ability to make the space seem larger than it actually is by reflecting light. However, just because you need light-colored cabinets to brighten up the space, doesn’t mean that you have to sacrifice drama!
Pairing white or pale woodgrain cabinets with the following elements can create a beautiful contrast that adds depth and aesthetic appeal to even the smallest kitchen space:
- Kitchen Island: Are you considering adding an island to your kitchen? If there is enough floor space in the room, kitchen islands are a highly functional element that can also add high-end style. Consider choosing an island made with dark-colored cabinets or a dark countertop that stands apart from the lightness of your wall cabinets to create a contrasting focal point.
- Woodgrain: If you have light-colored cabinets in your kitchen, you can amplify the beauty of them subtly and create contrast at the same time by incorporating darker woodgrain throughout the space. Butcher blocks or cabinets with dark threads of grain in a light background add both texture and contrast to create a look that has depth and beauty.
- Hardware: You don’t have to spend a lot of money to make your light-colored kitchen cabinets more interesting and dramatic! Instead of replacing major elements of the room, consider simply swapping out the standard hardware for dark, customized options.
Whether you’re talking about the nuances of art or the details of a kitchen remodel, the concept of contrast is bound to come up, and there are many simple, aesthetically pleasing ways to enhance the impact of both light- and dark-colored cabinets. Regardless of the size of your room, a little contrasting color goes a long way in making the heart of your family’s home a place that you enjoy spending time in.